You'reworking on the Google Chrome team when you receivea bug report: Chrome crashes on launch. What would you do?
Step 1: Understand the Scenario
- How long has user seen this issue?
- version of browser and OS?
- Does this happen consistently? How often, and when?
Step 2: Break Down the Problem
Flow of situation:
- start menu
- click chrome
- browser starts
- browser load settings
- browser issues HTTP response
- browser get HTTP response
- browser parses webpage
- browser displays content
At some points in this process, something fails. A good tester would iterate thru the elements of this scenario and diagnose the problem.
Step 3: Create Specific, Manageable Tests
Come up with realistic instructions.