Shared hosting is like living in an apartment where you share a common space with your neighbors. You cannot customize anything but you share maintenance cost and responsibility with your neighbors.
- Technical maintenance of the server is not required
- Limited number of resources
- Your website performance may be affected by other websites hosted on the shared server
- Possible long term problems with scalability and backup
- Possible security issues for sharing a common server
Virtual Private Server
Virtual Private Server (VPS) Hosting is like living in a simplex or half-plex where you can customize everything to your own tastes. However, you still need to maintain your own area. Companies that deal with resource-heavy applications and secured data most often use VPS.
- Larger space and bandwidth
- Can configure anything
- Run your own batch files to create multiple services inside the server using shell access
- Easy scalability and backup
- You need a dedicated system administrator